Mendocino County Chapter Surfrider Meeting & Mixer
Thursday, June 28 @ 5:30 pm
Location: North Coast Brewing Co. Taproom & Grill
5:30-5:40 Welcome & Announcements
5:40-5:45 Organizational Reports
Board member positions - Vice Chair is an open position
Membership – a look at current membership. Matching grant for new members through July 31. How to publicize this? Encourage sign-up on our site!
5:45-5:55 Committee Reports
Blue Water Task Force —
Int’l Surfing Day beach clean-up recap
Social Media — call for surf pics, material for posts please send to firstname.lastname@example.org
5:55-7:00 New/Old Business
New position open for NorCal Campaign Coordinator through Surfrider HQ
West Coast Conference will shift from September 2018 to March 2019. NorCal and Central CA will meet once before that in Aug or Sept 2018 (TBD).
Ocean Friendly Restaurants
- Eco-pliant paper straws - supplies are low, should receive sample packs by mid-July.
- Would a “Straws Suck” campaign be easier than OFR?
Help The Kelp
- no state funding this year. (Fish & Wildlife funded through ab license, so non-existent this year).
- letter for Surfrider HQ
- Help developing contacts:
Contact state and fed legislators: Mike McGuire, Jim Woods, Jared Huffman. Message: critical that we fund this project. Need “disaster relief” for urchin removal. Need a work-around for bond law restrictions.
Contact major non-profits. Need spreadsheet with KELPR partners so we can approach from a unified voice of our collaborative team.
Contact foundations who support the marine environment. (The Moore Foundation) Message: important project to fund or direct resources to.
- Urchin Derby on 7/21-22 in Albion sponsored by KELPR. Volunteers? We need divers, kayakers, urchin smashers. PR ideas (CA Report on NPR, Reuters, etc?) *Weather depending!*
- HTK Coastal Trail Celebration, on 8/5, 12-5pm at Noyo Crow’s Nest. Surfrider table, fundraiser, activities, games, enviro-faire - need volunteers.
- HTK poster - more locations?
- Noyo’s Rec Diver Portal &CitSci.org portal - how to reach out to fishing community to report healthy stands of kelp? Report lat/longs.
7:00 Open discussion
NEXT MEETING: Thurs, 7/26 at 5:30
7/21-7/22 SAT & SUN Urchin Derby in Albion
8/5 SUN HTK Coastal Trail Celebration, 12-5pm
8/22 WED SF 34th Anniversary
9/15 SAT International Coastal Cleanup Day