Meeting place: Walt and Jackie Dooley’s
Present: Walt, Jackie, Dave W., John W., Andy H., Rod, Julie
Minutes of previous meeting approved.
Treasurer’s report: Jackie – Balance: $2166.63
Membership report: Julie – 65 members
• Blue Water Task Force: Rod
• Testing will resume in April, 2011
• John W. and Rod will test Caspar and Hare Creek
• Victoria and Skip S. will test Virgin Creek
Coastal Access and Enhancement:
• Virgin Creek — Bob W. (Bob is not in attendance, but is in contact with Coastal Commission)
• Smuggler’s Cove – John W. (Smuggler’s Cove usage survey was passed out, to be returned to John)
• Hardy Creek – Dave W. will find out more and update on status, there may be a problem with access
MLPA – recap given by Dave W.
Starr Center Community Tiles (Jackie and Victoria) – tiles are at the center, waiting to be displayed.
Annual Mermaid Ball at Ledford House, 1/27/2011 – recap by Walt, successful and fun, profits not yet known.
Mixer – Andy H. – mixer will take place at F.B. Steak House, Wednesday, March 9, 2011 at 6:30 p.m. Purpose is to invite community to learn more about Surfrider and its “campaigns”, such as: Beach Cleanups (include “5th of July cleanup”), “Rise Above Plastics”, Land Use/Coastal Access, Blue Water Task Force.
June 21st is International Surfing Day
Next Meeting: June 4, 2011, 4:00, Walt and Jackie’s
The Surfrider Foundation is a non-profit environmental organization dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of the world’s oceans, waves and beaches for all people, through conservation, activism, research and education. Come learn what the local chapter is working on and where you can fit in. There will be a 15 minute presentation followed by time to socialize and discuss the issues.
When: Wednesday, March 9th – 6:30 pm
Where: Fort Bragg Steak House, 546 S Main St, Fort Bragg
Surfrider Mtg. and Pot Luck Mixer
Saturday February 12, 2011 @ 4:00 pm
4:00 pm Welcome /Opening Comments
• Announcements and Correspondence
• Agenda additions & changes
Review /Acceptance last meeting minutes
• Treasurer’s report – Jackie
• Membership – Julie
4:10 Committee Reports
• Blue Water Task Force-Jack C, Rodney, Victoria
• Coastal Access and Enhancement
• Virgin Creek – Bob
• Smugglers Cove- John W
• Hardy Creek – ?
4:30 Old Business
• MLPA Recap – Dave W
• Starr Community Center tiles- Victoria, Jackie
5:00 New Business
• Annual Mermaid Ball Thursday, Jan 27 2011 recap – Walt
5:30 Open discussion
5:40 Closing Comment
• Schedule next meeting
Locals are calling Fort Bragg native, Tommy Garrison, a hero for his part in pulling a man from the water near the Noyo Jetty on Jan. 21.
Police reports said Michael LeFavre, of Fort Bragg, was swept off the jetty by a large wave.
Police and medical personnel arrived just before dark to find people tending to a man on the beach who had been in the water about 15 minutes.
Garrison, 33, was born and raised in Fort Bragg, and has been surfing for about 15 years. Although it’s not a popular surf spot, Garrison was surfing Noyo Harbor on that Friday afternoon.
LeFavre later told officers that he swam as hard as he could but began losing hope that he would make it to shore.
For the rest of the article, click here.